A Sobering Statistic
In the 1970s, two major developments took place. The first was that genetic screening came into wide use with prenatal tests for disorders. The second was that abortion was legalized. As a result, approximately 85% of women who receive positive test results for an abnormality will terminate their pregnancy. Said another way, for every 100 babies with a chromosomal abnormality or life-limiting disorder, only 15 Abel's will have a chance at life outside the womb.
As the Creator of life, we believe that ultimate and everlasting Truth is found in the Word of God.
From that unchanging source of wisdom, we have drawn the following belief statements.
Every life is created by God with a plan and a purpose
- Psalm 139:13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
- John 9:1-3 As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, “Teacher, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him.”
- Romans 8:28 And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love Him, and are called according to His purpose for them.
- Jeremiah 29:11-13 "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”
- Isaiah 55:8-9 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.
Comfort can always be found in Christ and community
- John 11:35-36 Then Jesus wept. The people who were standing nearby said, “See how much he loved his friend!”
- Hebrews 4:14-16 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
- 2 Corinthians 1:3-7 God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us… For when we ourselves are
comforted, we will certainly comfort you. Then you can patiently endure the same things we suffer. We are confident that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in the comfort God gives us.
- Hebrews 10:23-25 Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
Our pain is never pointless, and joy can co-exist with suffering
- 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen,since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
- Romans 5:3-4 Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance produces character; and character produces hope.
- 2 Corinthians 6:10 We are sorrowful, yet rejoicing. We are poor, but we give spiritual riches to others. We have nothing, and yet we have everything.
- Hebrews 11:4 And through faith, though he is dead, Abel still speaks
God knows our days and each one of them is a gift
- Psalm 139:16 Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
- Jeremiah 1:5 I knew you before I formed you in your mother’s womb; before you were born I set you apart
- Galatians 1:15 But even before I was born, God chose me and called me by his marvelous grace
- Job 14:5 You have decided the length of our lives. You know how many months we will live, and we are not given a minute longer.
- Proverbs 27:1 Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day will bring.
Through Christ, we can live with a redemptive eternal perspective and death is not the end of the story
- John 16:22,33 "So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy… I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” -Jesus Christ
- John 11:25 Jesus told her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying.”
- Isaiah 61:1-3 The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is upon me, for the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to comfort the brokenhearted and to proclaim that captives will be released and prisoners will be freed… To all who mourn, he will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the Lord has planted for his own glory.
- Revelation 21:3-5 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them.They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”
The Lord has assembled an incredible Board of Directors to counsel and guide Abel Speaks into this next season! This mission will be benefit tremendously from the experience & expertise that they each bring to the table in the realms of medicine, accounting, fundraising, marketing, advocacy and directional leadership. Together they form the backbone of this organization, and it's our joy to introduce them to you!